Communication and Bucket Showers

8:30 PM

This past week has been emotionally trying on myself and my husband. We both had big things going on. He had things going on at work, I moved homes here in Kenya and began teaching in a school.
I learned that we should all thank our teachers, it's not an easy job. It's hard and tests you to your limits.

Yesterday wasn't the best day for my husband or myself, but we overcame the hard day by doing one thing that I think can save any and every marriage. Communicating. You cannot expect the other person to be a mind-reader and you also cannot expect problems to just vanish. Talking about them, no matter how uncomfortable not only gets you on the same page but allows you to grow and change with each other - always making sure your lives are on the same path.


I believe in talking things out, getting every emotion or thought on the table then reorganizing them in a way that works for the both of you. Right now we are both on a ledge with our careers, we can either keep going with what we have or make the jump into something new. Well I can tell you one thing, jumping is hard. The unknown is a very scary place but sometimes we have to understand that it is better than standing on the ledge wondering what is at the bottom. 

In other news, life here is Kenya is looking up. Teaching at my school has been such a good and unbelievable experience. I have never thought I was teaching material but my experiences so far have been so good! I mainly teach Class 6 which is mostly 12-14 year olds and they are the joy of my days. 

In the place I am currently staying there is no running water and I took my first shower last night - by bucket. If you've never done this, I don't think you really understand how grateful you should be for your running water! It wasn't too bad though since I heated up some of the water first so at least it was a WARM bucket shower. 

I only have a few weeks left here in Kenya, less than a full month now. It's a bittersweet feeling really. I love love love Kenya and the people here so much but I'm also really excited to go home. I get to be the Matron of Honor at my best friends wedding, get to spend Christmas with my family and see my loving husband. Although I'm beyond excited for going home, I know I will miss this place more than I could ever put into words. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images